Sunday 11 May 2014

Pencil me in

This elegant little outfit is something I threw together the other day when the phrase 'all dressed up with nowhere to go' was given new life. If I were to give it a name I might call it a 'Work Drinks' outfit (Pity I don't have an office from which to go to post work drinks). 



This is an outfit I could see suiting those elegant ladies (probably in their 20s, 30s or 40s) who just want to add a little bit of youth into their everyday look.








I love this pencil skirt because even though it is a modest length, its tailored fit and gathered detail make it fun and young. I have paired it with a simple black camisole top (sportsgirl). 

 If you were concerned about showing too much skin in a day time ensemble you could easily throw on a colourful blazer. I know first hand how having bare arms can make one feel uncomfortable (flabby arms anyone?).

In my opinion the heels (betts) are the key item in this ensemble. Because the top and skirt are so neutral - in both colour and shape - I added some quirky orange heels to play up the youthful look.

You could add whichever exciting heel you like. I chose these ones not only for their colour and interesting corduroy-esq material but also for their geometric shape. If I had gone for a classic thin-heeled-pointy-toed-pumps in a bright blue or a chunky-wedged-heels in black there would not have been as much contrast. I believe pairing this outfit with a more demure heel would make it too corporate; however I will admit that this is a matter of personal taste.




I'm not sure when a poor, 21 year old arts student would have occasion to wear such a fabulous pencil skirt but I'll keep you posted if I ever get the chance! 

P.S. Thank you Stacey for the photography

2 comments:

  1. It's the same length of skirt as mine and it looks great on you! I have to say this style is really growing on me and I appear to go for a lot of "awkward" lengths with skirts.

    Gorgeous!
    Tatyana
    www.secrerlittlestars.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so with you on the 'awkward' skirt length! I have a strange obsession with midi skirts and long mini skirts. It's strange how taste in clothes changes! I love them, but I'm not always confident to wear them yet. That it what I have been working on at the moment.
      Definitely give me a heads up if you do a new post with a longer skirt!
      I love seeing how people style them!
      I'm so glad you liked it though!
      Laura

      Delete