Monday 2 June 2014

My May Playlist

May is done and dusted for 2014 and what a May it has been! The music I'm about to talk about has made up the theme songs of my May. Some of these songs are fun, some are nostalgic and some are simply beautiful. Please enjoy them and let me know what you have been listening to.





My May Play-list has included:

Sing/Latch Cover - Hobbie Stuart
This is a song I have been playing on repeat for some time now. It is a beautiful slowed down cover of Ed Sheeran's new single 'Sing' mixed in with 'Latch' by Disclosure. I love many of Hobbie Stuart's covers but this one was really something else. I have listened to it so many times and I am still mesmerised by the tension and beauty. Hobbies voice is so raw!

Gold Snafu - Sticky Fingers 
This song is almost getting to the stage of being a classic in my play-list. It isn't new any more but it is so fun and energetic that it still deserves a mention. Definitely worth a listen and I'm sure it will get you groovin'!

Drop the Game - Flume & Chet Faker
This is such a quiet pump up-song. It's got casual-but-cool down to a tee! Flume and Chet are good friends and their collaborations are always something special. 'Drop the Game' is no exception. This is a song that I just love listening to!

My Silver Lining - First Aid Kit
First Aid Kit have been a favourite duo of mine for quite a few years. They have such sultry, haunting country sound that is just a little bit rough around the edges. This song is fairly up-beat for the girls and it really showcases their singing nicely without the need to be a slow depressing song (You know what i mean though right?).

No Digity Cover - Chet Faker
Oh yeah.. damn Chetty boy! This is another song that I have been loving for a while now, but hey, it's just fantastic. I am a big fan of that chilled electro sound, interesting sampling and smooth solo vocals. This song is cool in its own right but Chet's smoky sound ups the ante ten fold! Plus who wouldn't want to listen to a song where a beautiful boy croons that he 'likes the way you work it'? I sure like hearing that!

Come a Little Closer - Cage the Elephant
To throw a curve ball into the musical mix we now have a 90s-esq pop rock song. Dirty guitars and whiny singing make for a fun little tune that really broke up the ballads and soft-electro songs I had otherwise been listening to! This song really did take me back to another era of music - ah those terrible taste 90s! What it was to watch '10 Things I Hate About You' in your super cool double denim outfit!

And last but not least the award of best song of the month goes to:

Heart Shaped Box Cover - Ásgeir
This cover is actually incredible. The song is so different from the original yet the emotion of the performance is still so true to its roots. Stripped right back to piano and voice for most of the song, the second half sees some smooth electro, drums and vocal harmony. Ásgeir is so talented and is getting some well deserved recognition. There is really nothing else that can be said but this is a MUST listen!

What were you been loving during May?

xx
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment